The advent of Web 2.0 has necessitated a digital presence for businesses, entrepreneurs, and business owners for marketing, networking, CRM, and other business-related purposes. Using a social networking and marketing tool as advanced and gargantuan as Facebook requires us to part with a lot of personal and professional data.
But, did you know that it is possible to scrutinize your Facebook data? By analyzing your Facebook data archive, you can optimize the kind of information you are putting out for your social network to see. On the contrary, this valuable repository of information can be leveraged for several business benefits.
The Scope of Your Facebook Data
Facebook does a stupendous job of cataloging your entire activity history on its platform. If you have the bandwidth to delve deep enough, you can find comments and posts dating back to the very first day you began using Facebook.
The size of this accumulated data completely depends on the age of your account. Besides initiated interactions, Facebook also stores other activity data. This data is rather common and includes information, such as:
- The pages you follow
- Your group memberships
- Your message inbox
- Language preferences
- Anecdotal login itinerary
- Anecdotal logout itinerary
- Friends you’ve hidden from your feed
- Friends unfriended
- Status updates
- Your Facebook ID URL
These contain your basic activities on Facebook. They are generally not confidential by nature. To put it into a broader perspective, most of us are aware that Facebook catalogs the type of information listed above.
However, that is not all, for your Facebook data also ranges from being analytical to marketing-oriented data types, such as:
- The ads with which you have interacted
- The services you have used and reviewed
- Third-party service integrations
- Off-platform websites and services that you have liked, forums where you have commented, etc.
- IP addresses of every log-in
- IP addresses of every log-out
- Posts, third-party integrations, and page likes that you have hidden from your news feed
- Facebook search history
- Organic content shared on your profile and news feed
- Marketplace services, categories, items, notifications, contacts, and interactions
Managing your Facebook data
The average user isn’t cognizant about Facebook’s data mining and data storage policies. Additionally, there are a series of third-party liaisons, which in turn use this valuable repository of data for marketing inferences.
Facebook allows users to manage their data on this platform and further interact with it in a number of ways. All the generic and marketing-oriented information types listed above can be availed and updated using various options.
Each of the options listed below come in handy for generic users, as they are all the more vital for business users.
1. Access your information
This tool encases all the personal or business data that you choose to knowingly submit. All submitted data is segregated and stored inside one utility. This is quite handy for those who want to view and update a large block of information.
2. Download your information
This tool allows you to download your Facebook data based on timeline ranges. Alternatively, you can pick and choose information you want to download. While this is certainly helpful for personal and business users, there are a lot more uses in posterity.
3. Activity log
As the name suggests, the Activity Log should house your activity itinerary on Facebook, from Day 1. The tool allows us to review and moderate our past activities as well. Thus, users can choose to increase or decrease visibility on focused content.
4. Manage your information
This tool allows users to moderate the ways in which Facebook uses the user details. This includes the user’s location data, contacts synced with Facebook from other sources such as phones, facial recognition details, ad preferences, app integrations, privacy settings, etc.
You can even choose to manage how Facebook handles content where you are tagged without your consent, the activation-deactivation status of your account, and much more, all from this option.
5. Delete your account and information
This option allows you to instruct the platform to permanently delete all of your Facebook data along with your account’s settings and everything that has been stored over a period of time.
Benefits of Downloading Your Facebook Business Information
There are several business benefits to mobilizing your Facebook data off-the-site, such as:
- Local backup of your Facebook presence
- Documented records of Facebook’s marketing and interactions
- Marketing campaign data copies for collaborative analytics with parties not privy to your business Facebook account data
- Actionable data for case studies, brand imagery moderation, and marketing campaign improvements
How to download your Facebook data?
The social media giant has a nifty Download your information tool that allows you to aggregate your Facebook information. You can custom sort your data on the basis of time ranges and content type from here.
Try the following steps to get started:
- Log into your Facebook account
- Engage the down-triangle icon located at the top-right
- Choose Settings from the drop-down
- Scroll to the Your Facebook information section
- There is an interact-able option for viewing your Facebook data
- You can choose to add or remove data categories that you do not care for, in your archive
- Users also have the option to select the format of their download, the quality of their Facebook media, and even set a date range for the information they want to download.
- Upon interaction, Facebook shall warn you about the time required for archiving
- Click Start My Archive to proceed
- Proceed to download your Facebook data
How to Download Your Facebook Page Insights
Business users usually have a Facebook page where they interact with customers for network marketing, CRM, web presence, feedback, support, etc. However, users must note that Facebook only allows you to aggregate insights from up to 2 years ago, and only for a range of 180 days.
To download the insights from your Facebook pages, simply follow the steps listed below:
- Select the Page from where you wish to download the data
- Visit the page
- Click on Insights
- Click on the Export data option located on the top-right of the window
- Opt for the preferred data type, file format, and date range for which you wish to aggregate insights
- Click Export data once more.
Viewing Your Facebook Data Locally
Facebook allows you to retrieve your data in JSON or HTML format. Here is what you stand to gain with either format:
HTML offers an easy-to-view format of your Facebook data. You’ll receive a ZIP file, that once opened and extracted, will contain an HTML file named index that you can open like a web page on your web browser. The ZIP file will contain folders with files, including any images and videos you’ve requested.
By downloading Facebook data in the HTML version, you can view it in any browser. This helps you interact with the data using a clean, organized UI, as if you are still working on Facebook. Once the zipped data file is downloaded, users only need to unpack the folder and open the HTML files with a browser.
JSON files are recommended for those users who have an intermediate knowledge of web programming. The JSON format allows for easy integration of your data with other software for analytics, embedding, etc.
Navigate to your Ads Manager and find the Export button in the top-right of your reporting table.
How to Download Your Facebook Ad Data
Ad campaigns are a common factor for business users. However, in order to make the marketing data from those ads actionable, you need to export the Facebook ad data.
Try these steps to get hold of your ad data:
- Click Export or Export table data
- Choose the file type you prefer for the export
- There is a Share option present, in case you wish to share the data with your associates
- Clicking on the Share button generates a functional URL that can be dynamically shared with other users
How to Download Marketing Leads Data from Your Facebook Page
- Click Publishing tools on the page from where you would like to download the marketing leads
- Open the Forms library
- Select the form whose data you need, and click Download
- To opt for the new leads generated since your last download, you can click Download new leads option
- To download all the leads within a specific date range, you can set the required date range and proceed to download
- Choose between CSV or XLS for downloading the forms, and click Download
How does Kloudio help with Facebook data?
Facebook’s marketing data is a valuable source of marketing information, which can really help you with your business needs. Kloudio’s Facebook integration to Google Sheets and Excel allows you as a business user to simplify your Facebook Ads reporting, and data management.
These reports can be used extensively to drive actionable insights in seconds. Download and use Facebook ads within your favorite Google sheets and Excel, to glean excellently sourced information for decision making.
Kloudio offers an option to make a free account, so that you can understand the various options available within their platform.